Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Art of Being a Manchild

Manchild.  A seemingly simple compound word that has gained popularity in the past couple of years. But what exactly is a manchild? 

According to Urban Dictionary.com, a manchild is “An adult male who still possesses psychological traits of a child.” Seems like a pretty straightforward definition. I’m sure we can all muster up examples of men in our day to day life that exemplify this word.  I love this particular word because it can be used in the form of a compliment OR a diss. One can take it as “I am a man but I have some childlike habits that keep me young and fresh,” while others may take it as “I am a grown ass man and DO NOT behave like a child!” It is usually the latter that are more keen to deserve the title.

Now, this word can also personify a child with man-like qualities. Perhaps an 11 year old boy who is 6’1 and 200 pounds with a mustache.  However, this post will be more focused on the men who behave like children definition. 

When exactly does one cross the line from being a young male adult to a manchild? I would say the cut off for any man would be at the age of 25. Some may possess a seemingly adult job, hold a steady relationship, and have a car. Others may live at home, work sporadically and take the bus. A manchild has no boundaries.

What qualities does one have to possess to bypass being a child but not quite make it as a man? From my extensive research (a Google search) here is what I believe to be the characteristics of a manchild:

  • Avoids responsibility at all cost
  • Will always take the easiest way out in any situation
  • Has to enlist help from others to perform basic tasks (making dinner, buying big boy clothes, etc)
  • Throws tantrums when they don’t get what they want
  • Still thinks video games and fast food should be a staple in one’s life

Of course there are many more things that can be added but I found these five traits are the most common. Usually these are the guys that are hilarious to hang out with once a month but any more than that you want to gouge your eyes out. 

Which, of course, leads me to make a list (surprise) of my favorite manchildren. 

George Castanza, Seinfeld


Andy Milonokis
Charlie Runkle, Californication

Charlie Sheen, Two and a Half Men

Doug, King of Queens

Jonah Hill, Superbad

Seth Rogan, Pineapple Express

Steve-O, Jackass
Now do not get me wrong. I love me a man who doesn’t take things too seriously and has a kick ass sense of humor. Who may enjoy watching movies from their youth once in a while and loves dirty humor. In all honesty, every guy on the above list holds a special place in my heart. But I think I speak for most (if not all) women, nobody wants to date a manchild.

So if you think this describes you, you might want to slowly re-evaluate yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment