Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Review: The Hangover 2



I knew going into the theater to not expect much. I hate reading reviews for movies before I see them but I had read a couple because I was so excited for this movie. The Hangover was one of only a handful of movies that I absolutely loved the first time I watched it. I subconsciously knew the sequel would probably do no justice to the original. 

The plot was the exact same and I’d even go so far as to say the jokes were timed to occur at the same moments. Nothing about this sequel surprised or enlightened me. The cast that worked so seamlessly together were nothing more than washed out versions of their formal selves. Zach Galifianakis’s character, Alan, had a handful of funny one liners but nothing compared to the first movie. In other words, this film was predictable and boring. I found myself dozing wondering when they were going to “find” Ed Helm’s soon to be brother-in-law so I can go home to my comfy bed and go to sleep. The supporting cast brought nothing to the table. Mr.Chow didn’t really need a bigger role and his once funny accent just turned annoying real fast.

If you loved the first Hangover like me, nothing will probably stop you from seeing the second one. Hence why it was the highest grossing comedy on Memorial Day weekend even though not one good review has been written about it.  The film is bound to make billions of dollars and leave the fans disappointed. If Bradley Cooper was earnest in saying that this film tops the first one than his sexiness to me just dropped a hundred points. I could have written the plot for this movie while getting my wisdom teeth removed. Take the exact storyline of the first one, change the location to Bangkok, alter a couple of minor details (take away baby, add monkey)and ta-da! You have The Hangover II. Even Zach Galifinanakis couldn’t make this movie bearable. And that is saying a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment